Pop culture, marketing and me

I think pop culture and marketing are interrelated, and I am in between of that. So, this blog is a space for me to put down my observations.

19 December 2005

Chill Chill at Bangkok Jazz Festival

So many things happening this past weekend. But I want to talk about Bangkok Jazz Festival the most. Heineken, along with TAT (Tourism Authority of Thailand) and other sponsors hosted the annual Bangkok Jazz Festival this past weekend at Sanam Sua Pa. I was there on Sat and Sun night. And boy, how impressed I was.

First, I was surprised by the number of people came. I estimated 5000, but let's see what other sources say. I guess this kind of event is long wanted by Bangkokians. Think about it. People are willing to travel to Hua Hin for jazz, if there's one in Bkk, it should be a guaranteed success.

Second, I was impressed by how well organized it was. There are several sections you can choose to enjoy the event. You can bring your own mats & pillows and simply lay down on the grass. You can rent HK chairs and seat yourselves on the further area. You can buy food and sit at the tables in food court area. Or you can sit in one of the boutique bars scattered around the field. Plus there were several CD booths that sell popular and rare jazz CDs at lower prices. The toilets were even clean!

The artists represented were quite OK. Fourplay was the highlight. Each member also was featured with his own band. I also like Eldissa, the latin jazz/bossa nova duo that sings popular songs i.e. Can't Take My Eyes or Go West.So well done guys. And what a smart idea, indeed. Jazz is something enjoyable by people from 20's to ... well, very old. And those people have heavy pocket money. They are more than willing to spend whatever for their pleasure sake.

But one disappointment is the band selection. Fusion jazz isn't my favorite kind of jazz. But still, way to go HK. I now like your brand even more than before. You deserve that bright red star, really!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home