Pop culture, marketing and me

I think pop culture and marketing are interrelated, and I am in between of that. So, this blog is a space for me to put down my observations.

12 December 2005

awesomely entertaining and nothing else -- VH1

Since I didn't have to go to work, and didn't have money to spend, I decided to stay home. As I began browsing through TV channels, I realized how much I missed VH1 and E! TV is one of the very few things I miss about living in the U.S. (how shallow am I?)

VH1 is all about pop culture. You can read about VH1 in my earlier blog http://saowarat.blogspot.com At the beginning, it was just another music video channel that plays not-so-teens songs (since MTV always has to be young). But over time, like MTV, it evolves into a lifestyle channel, capturing whatever interests its target group. And it's so clear that VH1 target is Gen X (while MTV's is Gen Y). My age might belong to either Gen X or Y, but my mentality is clearly of an X. Of course, I'm so bitter about life and so sarcastic about everything, as if there were no hope left in the world (OK, more about that later).

Back to VH1. It's got pretty amazing programs. Mostly just compilation of short clips of something else e.g. songs, TV shows, interviews, award ceremonies, etc. But the very cool thing is the way it views those clips. It uses that sarcastic, bitter, dark, wacky humors of the Gen X as the lens to look at the clips i.e. it counts down how many days JLo and Mark Anthony stays in the marriage. The shows I like are "Best Week Ever", "The Fabulous Life of...", special ranking of things like "101 Hottest Hotties", "10 Jens", "Awesomely Bad Love Songs", etc.

How much more fun it can get than to watch funny people bitching about glamorous people? Someone once said that we have to gossip those celebrities because our normal lives are so boring and have nothing to talk about.

So now to UBC Inside. I think it's almost there. Now it's got some good documentaries about entertainment industry. (I really like Music Atlas and some episodes of Star Hunt.) But it's way too serious! Entertainment is meant to entertain. And this channel should be more entertaining, the way VH1 and E! are. I think Thai pop culture is no less juicier than others. So let's make use of it. Let's have some purely stupid, entertaining, shows that mock people around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home